AUSTIN, TEXAS, May 10th, 2022: Layer5, Inc.®, a provider of cloud native management software, announced today the general availability of the Meshery Docker Extension.
The Meshery Docker Extension offers an easy button to go from Docker Compose to Kubernetes to any Service Mesh.
Principal Developer Advocate at HashiCorp
As a user of the Meshery Docker Extension, Nic Jackson, Principal Developer Advocate of HashiCorp, can convert his Docker Compose apps to Meshery apps. Configuring and deploying Meshery apps to Kubernetes and any service mesh is made simple with the Meshery Docker Extension. HashiCorp is a Layer5 technology partner.
"The Meshery Extension transforms Docker Desktop into a powerful load generation utility, conveniently enabling me to deploy and configure any service mesh with a click of the button and invoke and control load-based performance tests from my desktop."
Software Engineer at HPE
From its genesis, Meshery has natively supported Docker as a deployment platform. With the Meshery Docker Extension the ability for developers to access a Kubernetes environment complete with a service mesh like Consul, Linkerd, Kuma, Istio, and so on. Meshery's deep support for the Cilium Service Mesh is the project's latest service mesh adapter.
"As a Docker Captain, I have always been a proponent of Docker, and in particular its enablement of developer workflows", said Lee Calcote, Founder and CEO of Layer5. "Now, Docker Extensions bring an integrated experience with ecosystem tooling, like Meshery - a critical tool for developers, who are configuring and managing cloud native applications."
The new Meshery Docker Extension brings Layer5 MeshMap, the world's only visual designer for Kubernetes and service mesh deployments, to the desktop of millions of developers. Developers and operators alike can visually configure and operate their cloud native infrastructure and applications using MeshMap's low code visual designer.
With a goal to bring workload identity and attestation to all service meshes, HPE Security Engineering uses the Meshery Docker Extension to deploy their service mesh of choice and test the performance of our SPIFFE and SPIRE-based identity solution.
Software Engineer at HPE
Users of the Meshery Docker Extension like, Maximiliano Churichi, Software Engineer at HPE, find convenience in Meshery's functionality directly integrated into Docker:
- Kubernetes and service mesh support for your Docker Compose apps - Import your Docker Compose apps. Configure and deploy them to Kubernetes and any service mesh.
- Visual design of Kubernetes applications - Using MeshMap as a visual topology for designing Docker Compose applications, operating Kubernetes, service meshes, and their workloads.
- Single-click deployment of any service mesh - Support of 10 different service meshes to the fingertips of developers in connection with Docker Desktop’s ability to deliver Kubernetes locally.
- Detection of Kubernetes environments - Scan your kubeconfigs and select your current Kubernetes environment. Switch from one environment to another one.
“Docker is obsessed with developer ergonomics and is committed to filling and improving the developer experience gap,” said Webb Stevens, Docker’s SVP of Secure Software Supply Chain. “We welcome Layer5 to the Docker Extension marketplace, expanding the applications and capabilities available for millions of registered Docker developers.”
- Try the Meshery Docker Extension and download Docker Desktop today.
- Watch DockerCon 2022: Extending Docker with Meshery, SPIRE, and Istio
- Watch DockerCon 2022: Extending the Docker Compose Experience to Service Mesh
- Learn more about Meshery and engage in the community's discussion forum.
- Follow us on Twitter @layer5, @mesheryio, @docker.
About Layer5, Inc.
Layer5 offers cloud native application management by harnessing the unique position service meshes have in changing how developers write applications, how operators run modern infrastructure and how product owners manage their service offerings. For more information, visit layer5.io
About Docker, Inc.
Docker helps millions of developers efficiently and collaboratively build, share and run applications. For more information, visit docker.com
HashiCorp is a leader in multi-cloud infrastructure automation software. For more information, visit hashicorp.com.
About Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (NYSE: HPE) is the global edge-to-cloud company that helps organizations accelerate outcomes by unlocking value from all of their data, everywhere. For more information, visit hpe.com.