Anywhere - Remote
Based on experience
We are a fun, talented and community driven team dedicated to providing our customers with easy-to-use software and a world-class, open source community experience. While small, the Layer5 community represents the largest collection of service mesh projects and their maintainers in the world. Advanced and emerging technology, and empowering engineers are at the core of our company, and though we move at a very fast pace, we are committed to maintaining a work environment of continual learning and giving back to our community. A passion for great design, dedication to innovation and a strong social media presence are our building blocks for creating a unique and engaging brand across the cloud native landscape. Our headquarters are located in the hill country of Austin, Texas, and we embrace the unique vibe and energy of our hometown as an inspiration for our brand and company culture.
Layer5 offers seasoned professionals an opportunity to significantly impact the fast-moving world of cloud native. We value all of our employees, interns, and contributors and commit to providing an environment in which innovation is fosterd and hard work is encouraged. We do so in ways that align with your individual interests and career goals.
What You Will Learn
Mature and evolve the notion of framework by collaborating with other leads to form a cohesive offering across Google products. Work across programs to define, maintain, and evolve the tools, processes, and communication around asset management. Leverage principle contributors to explore concept development to influence product, a point-of-view around visual style, and product commitments. Defend Google products, our brand promise, and its unique value prop amid an interlaced relationship with Google’s master brand. Partner with visual programs within our organization to evolve and apply new design styles and aesthetics for our suite of products.
As a Layer5 UI Visual Designer, you are responsible for web-based styling, creating designs and graphics, page layouts, logos, color schemes, brand kits and new site functionality on the many sites operated by Layer5. You will engage with users and the community to solicit and incorporate feedback on designs in an iterative and evolving process. You will enhance their human-centered design (HCD) techniques, producing software so intuitive that documentation isn't necessary.
- Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience collaborating with multidisciplinary UX and/or product teams (motion, interaction, UX research, engineering, content strategy) on technical implementation.
- Experience implementing visual design systems across a range of platforms in an iterative software development environment.
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects and your direct contributions.
- 8 years of relevant industry experience.
- Proficient with industry standard design tools (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign).
- Advanced skills in problem-solving and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile.
- Ability to act as a leader in communicating conceptual ideas and design rationale, all within a user-centered design process.
- Self-motivated, able to prioritize and manage workload and meet critical project deadlines.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to build good working relationships.
- Strong HTML5, CSS3 and SASS skills.
- SVG animation and CSS animation experience.
- The ability to embody Layer5’s cultural values among peers and across the community.
- A high level of accountability, reliability and initiative.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong ability to build relationships with community members and keep others informed.
- A growth mindset: desire to learn, grow and embrace new ideas.
- A shared appreciation for our core values of continual learning, making strategic decisions with fast execution, and creating a platform for shared success.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and a short cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org