Based on experience
We are a fun, talented and driven team dedicated to providing our customers with easy-to-use software and a world-class, open source community experience. While small, the Layer5 community represents the largest collection of service mesh projects and their maintainers in the world. Advanced and emerging technology, and empowering engineers are at the core of our company, and though we move at a very fast pace, we are committed to maintaining a work environment of continual learning and giving back to our community. A passion for great design, dedication to innovation and a strong social media presence are our building blocks for creating a unique and engaging brand across the cloud native landscape. Our headquarters are located in the hill country of Austin, Texas, and we embrace the unique vibe and energy of our hometown as an inspiration for our brand and company culture.
The Layer5 Internship Program offers students and graduates an opportunity to gain exposure to the inner workings of the fast-moving world of cloud native. We value all of our interns and commit to providing a comprehensive learning experience that aligns with individual interests and career goals.
What You Will Learn
We have multiple internships open. In this position, you will collaborate with our core team in each stage of the software engineering lifecycle. Your work will include designing, coding, testing, and deploying cloud native solutions. This is an extremely dynamic position and a great opportunity for an entry level tech person to build their skills and their career. The Software Engineer Intern will work closely with the open source community and broad set of Layer5 academic and technology partners. The ideal candidate is who enjoys learning at a high rate and is driven to succeed with little supervision. You are someone who works well in a team and takes pride in helping a company succeed and grow and are willing to put in the work needed to become a valued member of an evolving engineering team.
As a Layer5 software engineer intern, you will learn our guiding principles to software architecture and design. You will understand and internalize Layer5's vision and strategy for helping the world adopt service meshes; helping the world expect more from their infrastructure. Put your software development skills to use with cloud native paradigms and modern software making. Interns will enhance their weilding of language-specific idioms, their understanding of distributed systems challenges, and be able to identify and avoid anti-patterns. You will understand how to develop cloud native infrastructure management software, and how to empathize with your target persona. You will engage with other world-class engineers from Layer5 and partner companies.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree: All majors welcome, rising final year (seniors) preferred but not mandatory.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Results-oriented with keen ability to problem solve.
- Desire to learn and take initiative.
- Familiarity with Kubernetes, Docker
- Familiarity with Service Meshes: Istio, Linkerd, Consul, Network Service Mesh
- Familiarity with Cloud Native software design and deployment, Distributed systems concepts
- Must have experience with either Golang, or Rust
- Competency with some or all of them like Reactjs, Cytoscapejs, Billboardjs, Gatsbyjs is ideal
- Availability to work at least 20 hours a week (40 hours a week internships also available).
- The ability to embody Layer5’s cultural values among peers and across the community.
- A high level of accountability, reliability and initiative.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong ability to build relationships with community members and keep others informed.
- A growth mindset: desire to learn, grow and embrace new ideas.
- A shared appreciation for our core values of continual learning, making strategic decisions with fast execution, and creating a platform for shared success.
How to Apply
Submit your resume and a short cover letter to: email@example.com